St. Magnus Cathedral - Organ
The organ in St. Magnus Cathedral is the work of Henry Willis and Sons. It was built in 1925 and is situated at floor level behind a decorative screen designed by George Mackie Watson. It thus speaks directly down the main axis of the building.
The detached console was originally situated in the south choir aisle. In 1971 the organ underwent a rebuild. At this time the Choir organ was remodelled as a positif organ and the console was turned 45 degrees so that the player now faces south.
In 2001 a new solid state note switching and capture system was installed.
St. Magnus Cathedral Choir
The Choir of St. Magnus plays a major part in leading the worship. It is an adult choir of thirty singers. Their main task is to lead the worship at the Sunday morning service. It has a wide-ranging repertoire and has produced several CD recordings over the years. The most recent CD was released in 2004 and features the 12th century "Hymn to St. Magnus".
The Cathedral also hosts a number of concerts, recitals and musical performances throughout the year. It is a major venue at the world renowned St. Magnus Festival held each midsummer.